The estate planning, trust and probate attorneys of Smith Haughey are driven by a simple acknowledgment: we know you work hard to reach your financial goals and provide for your loved ones, so we work just as hard to ensure your estate plans effectively transfer your property to your beneficiaries – with the least amount of tax and turmoil.
Whether your wealth is individually held or is part of a family business, we’ll help you decide how best to transfer assets to maximize the benefit to the individuals or organizations receiving them. With expert estate planning advice and a sincere desire to establish lasting relationships, we can serve clients’ changing needs over time.
For instance, we:
- Prepare wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney, living wills, health care proxies, and related documents.
- Advise clients on ways to minimize estate and gift taxes upon the transfer of assets.
- Counsel business owner clients and families on the complex legal and emotional process of preparing for transitioning control of the family business.
- Guide clients and families through preparing their heirs for the wealth transfer process to ensure the family continues to flourish and prosper.
- Focus on Medicaid planning, and other long-term care planning for the elderly and disabled, including Medicaid appeals, housing, and veteran’s benefits.
- Show clients ways to reduce capital gains taxes and discuss how best to address unique family situations.
- Ensure clients’ estates will be probated promptly and efficiently in accordance with their wishes.