Real estate, or real property law, governs who may own and use the land residentially or commercially. Smith Haughey regularly represents landowners, both purchasers and sellers, developers, financial institutions and governmental entities in a variety of real property matters.
From the simplest project to the most sophisticated transaction, Smith Haughey’s real estate attorneys are highly-qualified to handle any real estate matter.
Our real estate attorneys work closely with the members of our Construction, Health Law and Agribusiness practice groups. We also represent municipalities and other governmental entities with respect to real estate issues.
The firm regularly represents owners, purchasers/sellers, developers, financial institutions and governmental entities in a variety of real property matters, including:
- Acquisition and sale of commercial and residential real estate
- Leasing of commercial and residential real estate and landlord/tenant disputes
- Financing transactions and land contracts
- Title examination and review
- Oil, gas and mineral rights
- Real property tax disputes and appeals to the Michigan Tax Tribunal, Michigan Tax Commission and Michigan Court of Appeals
- Easements and private road agreements
- Mortgage and lien foreclosure
- Riparian rights and cottage law
- Plat creation and amendments
- Condominium development and condominium association governance
- Zoning and land use, including variances, special land use permits and PUDs.
- Environmental due diligence and compliance
- Brownfield redevelopment and obtaining other federal, state and local incentives
- Conservation easements and farm land preservation
- 1031 exchanges
- Real estate litigation and dispute resolution