Mike Doversberger leads Smith Haughey’s business and real estate group. He works closely with businesses to design, negotiate, and execute documents and transactions impacting their operations, assets, and third-party relationships.
His experience includes:
- Negotiating the sale of a large-scale farm operation with substantial real estate holdings for approximately $60 million
- Representing publicly traded, global manufacturers
- Negotiating a $16.5 million asset purchase agreement for a local medical practice
- Negotiating a commercial real estate purchase of approximately $30M million from an investment trust, involving a 1031 exchange and allocations amongst a diversified ownership pool
- Consolidating ownership and preparing redemption, sale, buy-sell, and other corporate agreements
- Counseling on the sale of a regional food manufacturer for over $40 million
- Negotiating the purchase and leaseback of commercial real estate worth approximately $10.5 million
Mike has broad, diversified experiences and brings this knowledge to negotiation strategies, identifying risk, and drafting documents. He knows that an ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure. With this mindset, he helps clients identify areas of need, then practically manage and resolve legal considerations.
In addition to handling corporate and business transactions, Mike counsels individuals and businesses on human resources matters, non-compete and confidentiality agreements, licensing, franchise law, asset protection strategies, commercial leases, easements, manufacturing terms and conditions, and more.
Mike began his legal career in Northern Indiana and Southwest Michigan and now services clients throughout West Michigan. He was one of 22 Michigan attorneys named a 2022 Go To Lawyer for Business Law by Michigan Lawyers Weekly.
He attended the University of Notre Dame for his Bachelor of Business Administration degree with a Minor in International Peace Studies. He earned his Juris Doctor from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law and was an editor for the Indiana International & Comparative Law Review.
Mike brings passion and energy to legal matters, strives to be accessible and practical, and is honored to counsel clients during important moments in the evolution of their businesses, lives, or other interests.